"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Biscuits

My parents owned Franklin Country Music Park back in the 1980s.  I remember listening to Jerry Clower one night talk about "whop biscuits".  He said that all over America on Sunday mornings, you could hear this sound "whop, whop, whop...."  He said it was the sound of canned biscuits hitting the corner of the counter.  I knew that night I would never make "whop biscuits".  My Mama made the best biscuits.  I could make biscuits, but they were never as good as hers.  My children reminded me of this often.  One day I discovered Pioneer Baking Mix.  It changed my biscuit making life.  If you take Pioneer Baking mix and add buttermilk (the proportions are on the box) and you work in a little flour until the dough is stiff enough to handle.  If you cut out the biscuits (I have my Mama's biscuit cutter) lay them on a pan that has been sprayed with Pam, pop them in a 425 degree oven until they are golden brown, you will have yourself a pan of my Mama's biscuits, or at least a good copy.

FYI  This is no time to be on a diet.  Butter them with REAL butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment