"Taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

Sunday, March 10, 2013

Shrimp and Grits

I've been looking for a good Shrimp and Grits recipe. I tried one and we liked it.  Had dry wine and heavy cream so it was totally different from the one I tried last night.  This new recipe will definitely
be my go to Shrimp and Grits recipe.  It was SO easy and delicious.  I prepared it for my supper club and they thought it was the best they've ever had  Paulette is a true lover of Shrimp and Grits. So here it is....

3 cups of chicken broth
1 cup of uncooked, quick cook grits
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups (8 ounces) of shredded cheddar cheese
6 slices of bacon chopped
2 pounds of medium shrimp, peeled and deveined with tails gone
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
6 green onions, sliced, greens and all
2 garlic cloves minced

Bring chicken broth to a boil over medium high heat, stir in grits.  Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes until thick.  Remove from heat and stir in salt and next 3 ingredients.  Set aside and keep warm.  You can add more chicken broth if the grits get too thick while you are keeping them warm.
Cook bacon in a large non stick pan over medium high heat until bacon is done.  Remove bacon from pan but leave the bacon grease.
Add Shrimp to pan and cook for 3 minutes.  Stir occasionally. Add lemon juice and next four ingredients.  I didn't have fresh parsley so I added about a teaspoon of dried and it worked out fine.  Of course fresh would be better, I'm sure.  Cook just until shrimp are pink, don't over cook. Add the bacon back to the shrimp.  Spoon grits onto plate and top with Shrimp mixture.

This feeds about 4 people.  I do think you could cut back on the shrimp if cost is a factor.  This was a lot shrimp but it WAS good.  OR you could stretch it to feed more people but you'll have to cook more grits.

1 comment: